The Geophagus brasiliensis, also known as the Pearl Cichlid, is a stunning Aquarium Inhabitant. They are easy to keep and breed but require large aquariums. They are a great beginner fish and are less aggressive than many other cichlids.
- Scientific Name: Geophagus brasiliensis
- Common Name: Pearl Cichlid, Pearl Eartheater, Pearlscale Eartheater
- Geographic Origin: South America, East and southeast of Brazil
- Habitat: Large Aquarium with appropriately sized friends.
- Breeding: Lays eggs and cares for fry.
- Temperament: Mildly aggressive
- Maximum Size: 8-11″
- Temperature: 76-82 degrees Fahrenheit
- pH: 5.5 – 8.0
- Water Hardness: Neutral
- Water Region: Bottom
- How many?: They do best in pairs or groups. Larger aquariums can support multiple groups
- Diet: Carnivore – We suggest NLS Cichlid pellets or sera granuar