The Marbled hatchetfish is a schooling fish best kept in groups of 6 or more. They are great with other small community fish. They tend to stay near the surface of the water and are a little jumpy. A tight fitting lid is recommended.
- Scientific Name: Carnegiella strigata
- Common Name: Marbled hatchetfish
- Geographic Origin: South America, Amazon River
- Habitat: Almost any type of aquarium is suitable for these wonderful creatures.
- Gender Difference: Females may appear more plump.
- Breeding: Egg scatterers
- Temperament: Peaceful
- Maximum Size: 2″
- Temperature: 75-81 degrees Fahrenheit
- pH: 5.5 – 7.5
- Water Hardness: Very Soft to Medium
- Water Region: Top and may jump
- How many?: They do well in colonies. Groups of 6 or more are recommended.
- Diet: Carnivore – We suggest NLS floating pellets and freeze dried foods.
Some more great information about the Marbled hatchetfish can be found here