The Assassin Snail is small and harmless to other tank mates (besides pest snails that is!) It is also a very attractive snail to add to your aquarium.
A very easy species to keep as long as good water quality is maintained.
- Scientific Name: Clea helena (Anentome helena)
- Common Name: Assassin Snail, bumble bee snail, killer snail
- Geographic Origin: Throughout southeast Asia, especially in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand
- Habitat: These guys can handle almost any community tank environment. As with any snail species a medium to high water hardness is recommended to keep their shells looking great.
- Gender Difference: Difficult to sex
- Breeding:Not hermaphrodites, so you need a male and female in order to reproduce. Very slow breeders laying a single egg under water, typically on the undersides of leaves.
- Temperament: Peaceful (except for other snails similar in size)
- Maximum Size: .5″-1″
- Temperature: 60 – 82 degrees Fahrenheit
- pH: 7.2-8.0
- Water Hardness: Medium to Hard ~ We maintain the correct mineral content for these guys with Seachem Equilibrium.
- Water Region: Bottom and anywhere it can climb
- How many?: We recommend at least 1 Assassin Snail per 5 gallons of water to slow your pest snail population.
- Diet: Carnivore – When they run out of snails these little amazing guys will love some meaty type foods such as H2O Stable Wafers.
More Great Reading about these guys can be found here.